First, I’ll provide the definitions of each so you can see the difference and then I’ll elaborate:
Astrology: The study of the motions and relative positions of celestial bodies, interpreted in terms of human characteristics and activities. It is considered a pseudoscience, which is a claim or belief which is presented as scientific, but does not meet scientific criteria as it lacks supporting evidence and cannot be tested.
Astronomy: the scientific study of matter in outer space, especially the positions, dimensions, motion, composition, energy, and evolution of celestial bodies and phenomena.
In regards to Astrology, all you have to do is ask a room full of people: “Who here would consider themselves to be gullible?” Count the ones who raise their hands and ask them their zodiac sign. There will be different signs for the various people that raised their hands. That is a fact. If you asked that same question and everyone that raised their hand was a Libra, then I might give Astrology some credibility, but it just is not the case. Libra’s are apparently gullible according to Astrology. This is just one of a multitude of personality traits that you can test this with. Astrology was used by early man in an attempt to understand their purpose on Earth. It explains why we have 88 constellations. Early man played the largest scale of “connect the dots” and created images from them. None of these stars that connect to make animals are even part of the same star system. These stars are light years apart but from our point of view, they line up in the skies and were constructed into shapes and figures.
Astronomy uses these constellations still as a map of outer space. So when you hear “Orion’s Belt”, you know where to look in the sky. It is a string of 3 stars that make up the belt of a human figure named Orion, who was a hunter in Greek Mythology. Emphasis on mythology. These 3 stars are called Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka. Their distances from Earth are 736, 1340, and 915 light years away, respectively.
I bring this up because I get messages from time to time from someone who says they love Astrology because they are fascinated by stars and outer space. I am just trying to clarify that Astronomy is the term that should be used. Astrology is a thing of the past but has remained popular after all these years. Many people really do believe that the month they were born in determines their fate and incorporate this to an even greater degree so that they can find “the right one”, a sign that is most “compatible” with theirs. The Zodiac and Astrology are one in the same. It’s cool to look at it and see if it describes you, but I promise that it does not determine ANYTHING. You are who you are regardless of the month you were born in. THAT’S IT!!!!
Posted on Monday, 16 July
- sugarmagnoila likes this
- exploring-outer-space reblogged this from jesssisawesome
- naistrini reblogged this from astrodidact
- mukky5 reblogged this from astrodidact
- exploring-outer-space likes this
- urls-are-cool reblogged this from astrodidact
- chasingfromtheredline likes this
- eightshinyunicorns likes this
- kiltedken reblogged this from astrodidact
- nig-fewtons reblogged this from astrodidact and added:
- hemlock-knots likes this
- aarisswift reblogged this from astrodidact
- millyfromouterspace likes this
- howl-with-echos reblogged this from astrodidact
- trick-key likes this
- martianreihiko reblogged this from astrodidact
- 221b-67impala likes this
- drfarrington likes this
- hedownwithskeletor likes this
- twistedcanuck reblogged this from astrodidact
- twistedcanuck likes this
- redheadsandcake likes this
- unspokenpanic reblogged this from astrodidact
- unspokenpanic likes this
- miracledoc likes this
- utopianutahraptor likes this
- daeneryshasablog reblogged this from astrodidact
- ryannathans likes this
- jesssisawesome reblogged this from astrodidact
- firstaste likes this
- astrodidact reblogged this from astrodidact and added:
- jryanm reblogged this from astrodidact
- svenvazquez reblogged this from astrodidact
- sunnidayze reblogged this from aloneindaastros
- aloneindaastros reblogged this from astrodidact
- peopleasflowers reblogged this from astrodidact and added:
- peopleasflowers likes this
- distant-traveller likes this
- onelovecandy reblogged this from astrodidact
- onelovecandy said: Growing up my Mom always used to tell me that I was moody because I am a ‘cancer’ and I always thought to myself that I wasn’t moody but if I had believed her I probably would have been moody all my life.
- onelovecandy likes this
- glacierdog likes this
- roofofstars reblogged this from astrodidact
- cornfiguration likes this
- carli-rae-jepsen likes this
- jryanm likes this
- cosmonauttum said: Well said bro…thank you for the knowledge. I learnin a thing or two from your Tumblr.
- cosmonauttum likes this
- lopeveace likes this
- spadessleuth reblogged this from inspectionsandtea